In and around Barra there is a world of adventure, fun and relaxation – and Casa Chips can be your homebase while you explore it! To make it easier, we would like to suggest a few ideas and links…
There are several seasonal events you might want to plan your trip around…
February & November
- International fishing tournament – Dates vary year to year. If you are interested – just ask us!
Lent Carnival Festivals – 40 days before Easter
- Varies year to year – Catholic observances and local events
Semana Santa – Easter Holidays
- Holy week – Good Friday and Easter Sunday
January – February
- January 1 Año Nuevo – New Year’s Day.
- January 6 – Día de los Santos Reye
- January 17 – Feast Day of de San Antonio de Abad
- February 24 – Flag Day
- Saint Patrick’s Day – Two week celebration centered in nearby Melaque. You will find it difficult to get a room in Melaque during this celebration – Casa Chips can provide an excellent jumping off point for the celebrations on the North side of the bay!
- May 1 – Primero de Mayo – Labor Day
- May 5 – Cinco de Mayo – Not a big day in Mexico, but there are events, more because of the tourist trade than local interest
- May 10 – Mother’s Day
- September 15 – Dia de la Independencia, Mexico’s Independence Day. One of the biggest national holidays
- November 1 – Dia de los Muertos – Local remembrances of the dead that start on the night of November 1st and continue into the next day
- November 20 – Celebration of the Mexican Revolution
- December 12 – Día de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe – Starting 9 days ahead of this date there are a series of posadas and ceremonies in pueblos throughout Mexico
- December 25 – Christmas Day
Surf or Scuba Dive? What else can you imagine?
Let’s not be too optimistic – you aren’t going to find a lot of great surfing in Barra itself. But there are several places, within easy reach, where you can exercise your prowess. If you search around the web, you are likely to find several recommendations. Here are a few we have found or heard of:
- Mexico’s Best Kept Secret – Barra de Navidad
- Surf Forecast
- Tomzap – TomZap maintains a great page with a wide range of information about Barra here
- The Boca de Pascuales, South of Barra, is considered to be one of the best surfing spots in the region. It is remote and rough for camping, but you can return to your suite at Casa Chips and still enjoy the surf – we can help!
There are dive shops, local guides, and opportunities for diving and snorkeling in and around Barra. If you are interested in diving or any special activities in the area – just let us know. We can help you find the adventure you are dreaming of!